Thursday, October 1, 2009

An Expansion in Scope

I clicked over to this blog the other day to see how long it had been since I had posted anything. Quite a while, as it turns out. I think that's probably because I didn't have any concrete goals when I started it. I figured I'd use it from time to time to work out some ideas, maybe occasionally post a bit of something I was working on, whatever. Obviously, that loose plan didn't accomplish much of anything. I thought about taking this blog down completely, but it occurred to me that instead it might behoove me to come up with a more complete plan for it instead and then start actually using it to my advantage.

What I'm thinking is that I can use this as a writing journal. Between laptops and my BlackBerry, I'm rarely in a situation where I can't post something that occurs to me, or access this to read something I've written previously, which makes this more convenient than trying to carry around a notebook everywhere I go. I'm taking inspiration from the 'Project 365' concept in which participants take and post one photo per day for a full year. In this case, I'd like to write something each day for a full year (at least). Plenty of times I have lines or scenes that occur to me, with or without the context of any larger project to use them in, and this will be a good place to get them out of my head and into a place where I can play around with them or pluck them later when the right project does arise.

There's really no limit to the sort of thing you might find here if this project goes as planned. Short pieces, long pieces, fiction, creative non-fiction, maybe even some occasional poetry. In keeping with the original idea of Project 365, I may even put up a photo from time to time, although I do plan on accompanying any photos with some type of writing, even if it's nothing more than a description of what's depicted or the circumstances under which the photo was taken.

So here we go. Today is 'Day 1.' Let's see where we go from here.

0 comments: